There’s no flooring material that can give your interior a classic and timeless look other than hardwood floors. They’re beautiful, vibrant, long-lasting, warm, and give that welcoming feeling inside your home. So, when you invest in solid hardwood flooring, the last things you want to see are scratches and permanent dent marks that will ruin its appearance.
Many homeowners commit time and resources to maintain their floors. Hardwood floors need to be polished, re-sealed, and buffed every two to three years to maintain their pristine condition. But if you can’t find time or money to spend on maintenance, there are other ways to keep your wooden floors shiny and scratch-free.
An alternative way is to put rugs or carpets on top of your wood floors. In this blog post, we’ll look at some of the best rug pads for hardwood floors to help keep your mats in place and protect your wooden flooring.
Carpets Down: The Best Rug Pads for Hardwood Floors to Keep Your Mats in Place
If you place a mat on your flooring, whether for decoration or protection, the last thing you want to happen is for it to be slippery. With all the heavy traffic in your living area, kids playing, and pets running around, sometimes you can’t help it.
That’s why rug pads are here to solve your problem. Let’s check out some of the most popular rug pad grips and see what’s most suitable for your flooring needs.
Mohawk Home Dual Surface Utility Rug Pad
- The Mohawk Home Dual Surface Utility rug pad is made from synthetic material with rubber latex downside. The rubber surface of the rug allows you to place your rugs in place and prevents them from folding and wrinkling when stepped on.
- The non-slip rug pad has excellent cushioning to make steps comfortable underfoot. Furthermore, the rug pad is durable and can guarantee to protect your floors from abrasion and scratches.
- The Mohawk rug pad is available in two different thicknesses. ¼-inch can withstand foot traffic and fit in tight spaces. The 3/8-inch is perfect for rugs under heavy furniture.
- Some users report that the material used in the rug pad triggers their allergies. Rash and itching sensation in the arms appear, and sometimes uncontrollable sneezing. Make sure to be extra careful when you have allergies or a toddler crawling on the rug.
- Some customers complain that the item they receive has a strong chemical scent, making it suffocating to use in a confined space. You can air out the rug pad, but customers report that it takes a couple of days for the strong scent to dissipate.
Puroma Extra Thick Non-Slip Area Rug Pad
- The Puroma non-slip rug pad is made from dense premium material that keeps your mats and rugs in place even with a lot of running and playing involved. This rug pad is also multi-purpose. You can use this on tabletops and shelves to keep your items like vases and photo frames from slipping and breaking from a fall.
- The rug pads are thick enough to protect your floors from sharp objects and high-heeled shoes. The cushion not only protects your hard floor but also prevents your mats from ripping and puncturing holes.
- You can easily trim these rug pads to fit your mats perfectly. The design of the rug pad promotes excellent air circulation, so it does not collect dust and makes it easy to clean.
- This product works best on thin and lightweight carpets. Some users with big and heavy-duty carpet find this product ineffective because the rug pad cannot carry the weight of the carpet. We recommend using a thicker rug pad to keep big rugs in place.
- Some users report that the rug pads leave a permanent stain, especially when placed under heavy furniture. The stain marks are especially obvious on wood floors with darker hues.
DELLUNA Felt and Rubber Non-Slip Rug Pad
- The DELLUNA is probably the best rug pad for hardwood floor. They offer different thicknesses and materials to ensure that the rug pads keep your mats in place and do not damage your flooring.
- The DELLUNA felt, and rubber non-slip rug pad is reversible. You can use both sides and still enjoy its features. These rug pads are not only compatible with hardwood floors but also with laminate and tile floors.
- The rug pad is highly customizable. You can trim the pads to fit your carpets perfectly. The pads adapt to your floor and spaces over time which makes them safe to use even on sharp corners of the house and stairs.
- These rug pads are of great quality, but it’s quite an investment. Their biggest rug pad at 10 by 14 inches costs almost $200. If you have enormous carpeting inside your home, you’ll find yourself spending a lot. If you’re on a budget, try to look for other brands.
Rug Pad USA Eco Plush Felt Rug Pad
- The rug pads are safe for all surfaces you need to use them on. In addition, the rug gripper is made from recycled materials, so they are eco-friendly. The Rug Pad USA Eco plush is a great alternative for synthetic and non-biodegradable materials.
- Since the rug pads are made from recyclable materials like carpet fibers and nylon, it does not come with a strong chemical scent.
- Many users of this rug pad report that this is by far the softest and most comfortable underfoot among all the rug pads they have tested. Furthermore, the rug pads ensure that your carpet stays in place and does not slip, even with little kids running over them all the time.
- Some customers report that they received a rug pad with excessive shedding of materials. Because of this, the rug pad loses its thickness rapidly, and the loose material needs to be vacuumed every day, which can be a hassle for some homeowners.
- Some users complain that they don’t get the correct cut they ordered. The rug pads they received are significantly smaller than what was advertised.
Maintaining the condition of your hardwood flooring is a demanding commitment. You have to regularly polish them, fill in scratches, and re-finish them. Premium and genuine floor materials come with an expensive maintenance cost, but you don’t always have to spend big bucks every time.
Putting a carpet on top may cut your repairs in half. It’s an affordable way of protecting your floors and helping you save on your maintenance cost. We hope this review on the best rug pad for hardwood floors helped you choose the most suitable protection for your pristine wood floor.
If you’d like to know more about flooring, maintenance, repairs, flooring options, and home inspirations, check our blogs for more information.