All types of flooring require proper maintenance to last long, especially flooring made from natural materials. These materials can be sensitive to different agents and chemicals that can affect the quality and appearance of your flooring.
Fortunately, simple and affordable solutions like floor mats can make protecting your flooring easy. Mats are your flooring’s shield against scratches, dents, stains, and water damage. They’re also useful in spaces with high traffic and homes with pets and little ones.
In this blog post, we’ll check out some of the best waterproof floor mats you should consider getting for your home.
What to Look For When Buying a Floor Mat
Purchasing a high-quality floor mat can help you maintain your floors, so you should consider a few features before buying one.
- Anti-slip. Make sure the backing of the mat provides a grip to stay safe and stable every time you step on the mat.
- Stainproof. Stainproof mats are easier to clean and look better on your floor. Look for this feature if you want to put your mats in the kitchen or the garage, where you are more likely to stain your floor.
- Anti-fatigue cushioning. This feature is optional but highly recommended. An anti-fatigue cushion lessens the strain on your legs and lower back, especially if you stand for long hours.
- Waterproof. This feature is especially useful in areas like the bathroom and the kitchen. You may also opt for floor mats that can repel many types of liquids like oil, cooking condiments, and chemicals so that you can use them in multiple locations.
Highly Rated Floor Mats You Can Find on Amazon
Here are some of the best floor mats on Amazon and their different features. Take note of these products and see which suits your home best.
Super Absorbent Quick Drying Floor Mat
- The Super Absorbent Floor Mat is perfect in your bathroom area. Its underside has a strong grip that ensures the mat stays in place and remains stable even in wet spaces. This floor mat also comes in neutral colors, matching any room in your home.
- The floor mat has a strong water absorption and is quick-drying, so no water will accumulate under the floor mat. These features allow the mat to be clean and fresh all the time and prevent foul odor from developing.
- Made from high-quality materials, the floor mat does not compress and thin out easily, even with heavy use. As a result, you can be sure your floor has protection from abrasions and dents in case of impact from a falling object.
- Some users report that removing stains from the mat's surface is impossible because the mat absorbs them. Let’s say, for example, your coffee spills on the mat. You can rinse out the essence, but the coffee stain will stay on the mat, making it look dirty.
Gorilla Grip Dirt Defender All-Weather Floor Mat
- The Gorilla Grip Floor Mat features 100% premium rubber backing and high-quality woven polypropylene fabric. This floor mat is available in different patterns and colors, which you can match with your outdoor and indoor spaces.
- The floor mat has a beveled design to trap liquids or mud. Its surface also has a high absorption rate to ensure no unwanted mess stains your floor. The mat also has leveled bristles to collect dirt from your footwear.
- This waterproof floor mat has a versatile design. It is durable but thin, lightweight, and flexible. You can use the mat in high-traffic areas like the living room, outdoor patio, and garage. Its thin design also makes it compatible with low-clearance doors to avoid jamming.
- Some users report that the mat can have a chemical reaction on the floor after it gets wet. As a result, it stains the flooring or makes it look bleached. Thus, we don't recommend using this floor mat on natural materials like hardwood and stone.
VersaTex Multipurpose Recycled Rubber Floor Mat
- The Versatex Floor Mat is safe for all flooring types. You can use this on any surface to protect the floor from scratches and dents. This multipurpose mat is best to use under heavy furniture and home equipment and in areas of the house with heavy foot traffic.
- This 100% waterproof and dirt-resistant mat is made from recycled rubber. It's also stain-resistant, which makes it suitable in the kitchen.
- This rug is easy to cut and fit anywhere you need it to. It’s also multipurpose, so its use is not limited to your floors. You can also use it under your kitchen sink and countertops and even in areas for your pets.
- The rubber backing of this floor mat does not absorb water. Although it is waterproof, the water accumulates in the surrounding area, making you prone to slipping. Thus, we don't recommend using this floor mat on slippery materials such as tiles or smooth-textured stone flooring.
Drymate Low Profile Ultra-Thin Floor Pad
- The Drymate Ultra-Thin Floor Pad is the most affordable in our selection. You can also choose from a variety of colors to use in your indoor spaces.
- Made from polyester fabric, this floor mat can absorb water four times its weight. It also traps moisture, so the water won't spill when you step on it. Moreover, the mat has an anti-slip backing that keeps it from moving, preventing accidents in wet areas.
- This floor mat is easy to clean. You can machine-wash or hand-wash this mat, but be careful not to use bleach to avoid ruining the product's design.
- This floor mat has no cushioning, so it can be uncomfortable on hard surfaces.
We’ve seen each product's key features, but which of these waterproof home floor mats is worth your money?
Each mat has its merits and will surely deliver if you place them in the right area. But if we are to choose the best, the Gorilla Grip Floor Mat shines the most. It has a high absorption rate and can trap water and mud. Also, its leveled surface collects dirt from your underfoot or footwear to prevent dirtying your floor.
Although this choice is the most expensive one on the list, we still think it is worth your money. But if you want a more affordable option, the Drymate waterproof floor mat is the runner-up. The product lacks cushioning, but at least the product is waterproof and versatile. If you want more flooring inspos, product reviews, and buying guides, subscribe to our blog!