Dance studios come in a variety of dimensions and styles. But one thing they all need is a smooth, level surface to dance on.
If you have an extra room in your house that you want to convert into a studio, installing laminate flooring is a great way to shine. Not only is it affordable, but it can also withstand heavy traffic. Plus, you can choose from several styles, patterns, and designs. Best of all, it’s so easy to install that you can renovate your own space without the help of professionals.
But before that, gathering the perfect tools for the job is the first thing you need to do. Let us give you tips on how to put laminate flooring more smoothly, whether you’re a total beginner or a seasoned pro.
How to Lay Laminate Flooring
Floor installation may be a complex job, but anyone can complete it swiftly and efficiently by following the steps below.
- To begin, make sure the floor is clean and debris-free.
- Then, measure the room and mark the location of each plank. Cut the planks to size using cutting tools, and then assemble them like puzzle pieces.
- Tape down the seams, and then attach the baseboard molding. If you need to install laminate flooring on stairs, it is best to use stair nose molding. This material covers the front edge of each step and has a smooth surface that gives a finished look to your floor.
- Finally, fill in any gaps with caulk or sealant. Let it set thoroughly before stepping on the floor.
Build Your Dance Studio Floor with Our Top 4 Picks for Laminate Flooring Tools
We’ve done the research and rounded up some of the best flooring installation tools you can use in laying laminate flooring.
Swiftrans Wood Flooring Installation Kit
- This bundle includes a rubber hammer, tapping block, pull bar, and 40-piece plastic spacers. It's a handy kit for a quick and easy laminate floor installation, suitable for beginners.
- Swiftran's rubber hammer is for pounding down the seams to create a lock. Meanwhile, the tapping block has a groove that matches the tongue, making flooring installation considerably easier and faster.
- You can stack and stagger the 40-piece spacers to create the flooring thickness you desire. They're tapered, so just join two together and adjust them to any width according to the directions.
- The enhanced endpiece drawbar features two felt pads to avoid scratching your flooring. Use it when you reach the end of the row to secure all of the floorboards into each other.
- Suitable for installing all types of flooring
- Can accommodate large spaces
- Some users find the tools a bit flimsy.
When installing flooring, it's helpful to have all the necessary materials so that you can easily get the job done. The Swiftrans kit does its job of installing laminate materials on the floor. Surprisingly, it can also accommodate large areas—a great advantage if you have big floor space.
However, you also need to consider that subpar tools can damage your floors, which will cost you more money in repairs in the long run.
WORKPRO Wood Flooring Installation Kit
- Similar to Swiftrans, the WORKPRO bundle includes a cast-iron mallet, a pull bar with enhanced strength and corrosion resistance, a sturdy tapping block, and 30-piece plastic spacers.
- The hammer is cast iron with bright chrome coating, weighs 1.036 pounds, and has a toughness of 905 HAS.
- The pull bar is grade A3 steel with a matte finish for additional strength and corrosion resistance. It is also longer and thicker than the standard design, with a 12 ¼-inch length and 1 ⅛-inch thickness.
- The robust configuration of the polypropylene tapping block makes it sturdy and durable.
- The pack is ideal for use in both the home and the workplace for the highest-quality wood floor or laminate installation.
- High-quality tools
- Many users suggest looking for other spacers rather than using the ones from Workpro.
- Tapping blocks look wonky.
WORKPro has excellent flooring tools that can make a big difference in your floor’s finished look and the amount of time and effort it takes to complete the job. Best of all, the price point of the item is especially low if you compare it to paying professional installers.
Overall, installing laminate flooring yourself is worth it with these tools.
ZEXHOM Wood Flooring Installation Kit
- This package includes the following: heavy-duty pull bar, vinyl rubber tapping block, sturdy double-faced hammer, protective foam kneepads, and 60-piece wedge spacers.
- The mallet’s handle has a nonslip rubber grip that helps absorb vibration and deliver a softened and favorable strike.
- ZEXHOM has a high-strength steel pull bar. Its wide front edge and felt padding on the rear help avoid plank damage and scratching during installation.
- The vinyl rubber tapping blocks can withstand the rigors of flooring installation.
- The 60-piece wedge spacers can accommodate large flooring areas.
- Installation tasks become easier and more comfortable with a waterproof foam kneepad that provides full knee support.
- Great combination of tools for floor installation
- Can get the job done within 1–2 days
- Some users think the pull bar is weak.
- Hammer may be heavy for some.
The ZEXHOM installation kit has a great collection of high-quality tools suitable for do-it-yourself projects like dance studios. In particular, the pull bar and the tapping blocks are useful in distributing the force applied by the mallet, reducing the likelihood of floor damage during installation. Moreover, you can also use the spacers to maintain the proper distance between the floor and the wall.
EZARC Wood Flooring Installation Kit
- Has a double-headed mallet that weighs 20 ounces. It also comes with a tight handle that helps you generate enough force to hit an object.
- The upgraded drawbar is wider than average and will not damage the surface.
- Also includes a solid tapping block. The upgraded substance makes it more durable than conventional plastic.
- The 40-piece spacers make installing laminate wood flooring in large areas easier and more convenient.
- Suitable for laminate or hardwood flooring
- Comfortable to use
- Perfect for DIY jobs
- Not for long-term use
- Kneepads are frustrating to use, according to some buyers.
All of the components from EZARC perform as expected. You don't need to worry about installation because this kit will help you do your floor project quickly and easily despite your lack of experience.
However, this kit is good if you're only doing one room and don't have any plans of using it again. Additionally, we highly recommend buying a better set of kneepads since they are too tight and uncomfortable to use.
Whether you are launching a new dance studio or upgrading your floor as soon as possible, it helps to know the right tools to ensure its durability and efficiency. And whatever brand you end up choosing, remember to follow the proper installation and find the right flooring that will let your dancers shine with their dance moves.