A floor can make or break a home. There are many flooring options on the market, but engineered hardwood flooring is one of the most popular and applied types of flooring for its durability and quality. When installing wood floors in your home, it's important to protect them from moisture and provide a solid foundation for your new floor. This underlayment paper will do just that!
Would your flooring installation project feel incomplete without floor underlayment paper? If so, be aware that a 15 lb. black felt hardwood flooring underlayment paper is one of the best options for flooring installations. This type of flooring underlayment paper will ensure that your floor feels like it's floating on air and not in contact with any objects below it. The best part about this product is that it only weighs 15 pounds, which means you can transport it easily!
The Importance of Underlayment Papers in Your Flooring Installation
Your house is your comfort zone where you can do everything you want and enjoy the warmth and shelter it offers. And that is precisely why it is vital to building it with strong foundations and a well-designed structure. Roofing underlayment is important because it protects your house from leaks and direct heat. You can select from several types of roofing underlayment, such as asphalt-saturated felt, synthetic underlayment, and rubberized asphalt. That said, it is equally vital to have an underlayment in your flooring too.
One of the key elements to a successful flooring installation is understanding and using the proper underlayment paper. An underlayment paper is a thin material placed between the main floor and the subfloor. Generally speaking, a high-quality underlayment paper ensures effective sound absorption and protects your floor from destructive moisture. Having the right underlayment material for your floor structure will always improve your floor's performance. Remember that the denser the underlayment, the better.
There are many benefits of using an underlayment paper. These are just some of them:
- An acoustical underlayment dampens and absorbs sound transmissions caused by walking around.
- It makes standing and walking more comfortable.
- Adding cushions to the hard surface floor provides another layer for insulation.
- Most underlayment materials provide a moisture vapor barrier that protects the floor against moisture, mildew, and mold that can build up underneath.
- An underlayment smooths out minor imperfections in the subfloor, leading to a more stable and supported floor.
Aside from learning the benefits of underlayment materials, you should also know the types of floors that you incorporate to beautify your house.
- Wood. It is one of the most popular floor materials because wood represents practicality, versatility, and luxury. Today, wooden floors are available in different textures and patterns. They are also easier to maintain and polish compared to floor materials. However, they are also prone to scratches and water damage. You can install hardwood for extra durability.
- Tiles. Tiled floors simply represent versatility and simplicity, plus they are available in different sizes, textures, materials, and patterns. Tiles are also easy to fix and maintain. Keep also in mind that you must be extra careful because heavy objects can easily crack tiles.
- Marble. A marble floor can be a symbol of wealth and power. You can typically see marble floors and walls in the nests of the rich, famous, and powerful. Marble's translucent property makes it valuable and also available in different shades and sizes.
- Granite. Luxurious and durable, a granite floor is expensive because it is hypoallergenic and moisture-resistant. If it is maintained well, it can withstand the test of time.
Presenting: The 15 lb. Black Felt Hardwood Flooring Underlayment Paper
If you have solid or engineered hardwood floors, the best underlayment to use is the 15-pound black felt paper. Roll it out over your wood subfloor before you install the floor design of your choice. The hardwood felt paper could greatly reduce the formation of moisture from the subfloor to protect a newly installed hardwood flooring.
There are many competing brands that you can choose from, such as Bellawood Platinum, Eco Silent Sound HD, QuietWalk, Insulayment, Tranquility Ultra, and CoreLuxe Vinyl. Put in mind that the underlayment you need depends on your flooring installation method, the type of floor material, and whether you install it over wood or concrete. You also have to consider density, sound transmission, comfort, compression, moisture resistance, and cost. The 15 lb. black felt paper for flooring is a budget-friendly underlayment that can help preserve your floor for a long period.
NOTE: Make sure that you are using the right underlayment paper to your floor because there are ones specifically designed and manufactured for roofs. Roofing underlayment paper is typically coated with tar or asphalt that emits strong chemical odors if enclosed in your house. Always check if the felt paper is designed for hardwood flooring installations.
ANOTHER REMINDER: Underlayment made from materials can harm your health as you inhale the air coming out from them. You also need to check if the underlayment you intend to buy passes the American or Canadian Indoor Air Quality emissions standard.
Easy Steps on How to Install an Underlayment Paper
Once you decide on the right underlayment for your floor, the installation is relatively easy. Every brand has a manual to guide its buyers in installing the underlayment correctly. Anyway, you can easily incorporate an underlayment paper by following the instructions below.
- Make sure whatever your subfloor is, it should be perfectly clean and dry.
- Then, begin lining up the edges of your underlayment against the wall.
- You can staple the underlayment paper to hold it in place before rolling it out to the other side.
- Cut the excess parts such as the corners and any other obstacles to fit it on the edges.
- Continue rolling out strips until you've covered the entire floor.
- Keep in mind not to layer the overlay but have the seams flush together.
Underlayment is very important because it can protect your floor a great deal, reducing your expenses on floor maintenance. That said, 15 lb. black felt hardwood flooring underlayment paper is ideal for your wood flooring, but it’s also good to seek professional advice from your contractor. Also, don't forget to check the materials of the underlayment before you buy and install them at home.